Overview: Here at Hanga we are blessed to have our own health dispensary, which is run under the supervision of Br. Lucius Matembo OSB. This dispensary serves the monks of Hanga Abbey, local villagers, school children, and other people living on the outskirts of Hanga Village. We are able to provide our patients with a wide range of health care services, including medical diagnosis and treatment, health education, self-care products, services and more.
- • Non profit health care facility established by the monks of Hanga Abbey
- • Serves a population of 2,500 students and 20,000 villagers
- • Receives and treats 40-50 patients each day
- • Our 10 person staff includes: 2 clinical officers, 4 nurses, 2 nurse assistants, 1 dentist, and 1 lab technician
- • Our facilities house 25 beds for men, women, and children.
Specific Services Offered:
- • Malaria treatment • Medication Distribution
- • Child Delivery • Basic Dental Care
- • Basic Physicals • Bandaging
- • Transportation to larger hospitals in Peramiho and Songea
Overwhelming Demand: It’s not uncommon for our patients to take a 4-hour bus ride in order to receive health care assistance that they would normally not be able to afford. Due to our commitment to serving those in need, we try our best to serve as many patients as we can, which often leaves the monastery having to cover between 20-25 percent of the medical expenses. As a result of these incurred expenses, our dispensary is not able to afford the necessary equipment to detect some of the most basic illnesses such as malaria and worms.
The dispensary is also faced with the constant challenge of trying to operate under the lack of a reliable electrical source. Often times we are forced to put our lab analysis on hold because we are unable to run something as simple as a microscope. Because we are the only dispensary that is capable of completing these basic medical evaluations in the surrounding area, we strive to find ways to serve our patients more effectively. Therefore, we would ask that if you are interested in helping our cause we are in need of the following items:
- • Maternity delivery bed
- • Solar powered microscope
- • Basic medicine
- • Bedding
- • Basic Medical supplies such as gauze, needles, bandages and rubber gloves
- • Money for medicine, medical supplies, and transportation costs
- • Any other medical supplies that you would be willing to donate
Along with the listed materialistic needs we would gladly accept the services of any medical professional who would like to visit us at Hanga and volunteer their time at our dispensary. For more information please contact Br. Lucius at: firstname.lastname@example.org